Tuesday, December 21, 2010

My thoughts on WoW

Warning: Senseless ramble.

I started playing WoW in fall of 2007. Being a noob was quite simply the most magical experience in video gaming. Traveling through the elven areas, Darkshore and Ashenvale specifically, felt adventurous. Traveling to Stormwind was an achievement of it's own.

But then, I began raiding. It felt really good to group up with a bunch of people and kill bosses, but that novelty died down hard.

I leveled up a new character, and it felt like a chore. Everything in the game felt like a chore. Battlegrounds got boring quickly, and PvP was unbalanced. It's impossible to balance a multi-class MMO because gear is changing constantly, and all tiers must be balanced. I chose to avoid that altogether and play other video games.

I took a couple breaks which lasted months at a time.

I came back, and nothing changed. You still kill monsters to get gear to kill bigger monsters. I just don't see the appeal to it. Sometimes you have to press different buttons, or stand in different places, but there are some people who have been doing it for 6 years. Are they crazy?

Maybe our tastes just differ.

No comments:

Post a Comment